Thursday, June 18, 2009

Relax

Brian and I were supposed to go canoeing today for my birthday. His mom was coming up to babysit, and we were going to take a paddle and then go out to dinner. We've only seen the sun for bits and spurts all week, but today was simply steady rain. We aren't afraid of a little rain mind you. We did an all day paddle and nearly got hypothermia a few years ago (also a birthday outing, hmmm maybe canoeing and my birthday don't mix), but we decided we didn't need to do it again. Maybe a movie? Nothing playing near us looked appealing. What to do, what to do.

Ah, a hot tub and massage. Just the thing.

We had talked about doing just that after Henry died, but neither of us was motivated enough to make a plan. And then I got pregnant and the hot tub was out (though help in relaxing was needed more than ever). So we finally got around to it today. I wouldn't have minded the massage going on longer, but it was good. Lots of tightness melting away.

Then a yummy dinner out—sea scallops with a ginger, carrot, orange butter, grilled asparagus, and roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes. We ended our meal with a peach lambic. (If you have never tasted a peach lambic, you really should. Brian proposed to me over peach lambic, and we toasted with peach lambic at our wedding.) This place has it on tap, which is even yummier.

And then I came home to a girl who was starting to get sleepy, who woke right up when she saw me, and was delighted to see me. She smiled and smiled and laughed and babbled.

I had had a lovely day despite the rain and our change of plan. But even a crappy day would have turned around with that welcome home.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! The food delicious and the massage relaxing. Glad the change of birthday plans worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible birthday present from Kathleen - this post made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Sounds like you had a really peaceful day and a gentle finish with Kathleen. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday. It sounds like it was a lovely day all round, which you definitely deserved.

    ReplyDelete